Semiconductor-based technologies are vital for the developed and developing world. They are core to sophisticated communications, central to our ability to generate electricity, and are the engines of electronics used in our daily lives. Organic semiconductors will lead to the next wave of technological advancement:
- They are a thin film technology with the active layers <1µm thick leading to lightweight devices with flexible form factors and the cost effective use of materials;
- They are comprised primarily of earth abundant, non-toxic materials, ensuring there can be continuity of supply whilst being comparatively environmentally friendly;
- They involve low embedded energy processing, leading to sustainable manufacturing;
- The power of synthetic chemistry means that an almost limitless range of materials can be engineered at the molecular level for specific applications; and
- They will create new markets.